Friday, December 12, 2008

Question of the Day: Powerful or Sexy?


Would you rather be powerful or sexy?

Mattie's answer: Powerful.

Of course this is coming from the female perspective - but to me, being powerful is sexy. Especially in my mid-20's as I transition into complete and total adulthood, I believe that if you're too sexy or too attractive you can't be taken seriously. Now I get it. There a re just some people out there who are sexy. That's just what they do. At the end of the day though you're going to respect and hold the person in charge in high regard.

Now please don't misunderstand me. There's nothing wrong with being sexy. I just wondered if you had to pick one of them which one would the majority of people choose. I think that sexiness is so instantaneous and by nature the first thing we respond to. It responds to us at an emotional level and we all know making decision off of our emotions is not a good look.

With someone who is powerful, you're usually intrigued. Women love a man who's in charge because we like security. Men tend to respond to women who are in power because they can relate and seldom do they come across women who are just as powerful or more powerful than them. (And a lot of times, to men, that can be intimidating.)

Sexiness is less likely to be considered powerful than being powerful is to be considered sexy but it's possible to be considered both. I think that's why someone like Beyonce is into someone like Jay-Z. Sure, Jay may not be the most attractive guy in the world but he's powerful. He's about business. And his sexiness sure doesn't meet Beyonce's sex appeal. However, if he wasn't powerful, I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be together. That's just my opinion.

At the end of the day, the big difference is respect. When you're powerful you're respected and when you're sexy you're momentarily desired. Think of it this way: would you rather learn how to be sexy or how to be powerful? I'd much rather have Oprah teach me what she knows than Marisa Miller.

I'm just saying.

No comments: