Saturday, September 6, 2008

VMAs Tomorrow!



I’m totally excited to see this year’s VMAs! I watch it every year; it’s damn near religiously. This year though is kind of a big deal for various reasons.

It’s the show’s 25th anniversary and there are many performances.

Most of them had been announced early this week and a few more were announced at a press conference yesterday in Hollywood. Christina Aguilera, T.I., Rihanna and Lil Wayne are amongst the many performing during the fete but I’m anxious to see the opening (Britney Spears) and the closing (Kanye West) of the show especially. After the tragic that was Britney’s opening at last year’s awards I’m surprised that both MTV and Britney would want to go through that again. And Mr. West swore up and down that he wouldn’t return after they shunned him from opening last year’s show and long and behold he will be not only there but closing the show out.

I’m sure everyone who is everyone in the music game will be there as well as a slew of presenters like Ciara, Jamie Foxx and many others were also confirmed this week. If I’m not mistaken the show has never been in Hollywood – there’s New York City which is considered home for both MTV and the VMAs; then there was that stint in Miami in 2005 and of course last year’s shenanigans in the city of sin – Las Vegas. As an avid VMA watcher, the shows were always below standard if they weren’t in NYC because they usually were trying too hard. Last year, I felt that the show was all over the place…a bit scatterbrained. It was too much going on. I get it. There were lots of performances and they were trying to capture the essence of Vegas for the viewer but the execution lacked its primary goal to make the show look good.

So I hope and pray that this year’s try in Hollywood is a little different from the show’s history whenever they go abroad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish i coulda been up there to watch them with you, cause my rib sure wasn't excited as I was about the VMA's. I spazz when it comes to music and video awards!


G!-manFantastic