Friday, November 21, 2008

Review: Kanye West's New Album



::Just a heads up, in case you care, you can listen to Kanye West's entire new album on his myspace page.::

So Kanye's latest album 808's and Heartbreak, drops Monday, November 24 but I caught a preview of it today.

I'm not gonna lie. Overall, Kanye was pretty dark and somber with his writing. But it's still genius. I think it's a smart album. He's very authentic and even though he uses autotune throughout the album I still like it. (He's not offensive like T-Pain per se.)

If you're like me and think about it too much, you definitely think that he's personally sending out some messages to his ex-fiance, Alexis. He's not using "heartbreak" metaphorically as far I'm concerned. I would say 10 out of the 12 tracks say he's heartbroken for sure. Take tracks like "Heartless", "Love Lockdown", "Bad News" and "Coldest Winter" for instance. Examples of his heart being broken for sure.

But there's tracks like "Amazing" and "Paranoid" that aren't completely in the pits. "Paranoid" is the most 80's influenced song on the album. The hook, the electro pop track...it's safe to say that it's one of my faves of 808's and Heartbreak.

"Say You Will" is a great opener for the album. It definitely sets the tone. I think right now Kanye's in a place where he's coping (the loss of his mother, his breakup with Alexis) and growing as artist. A lot of the time that tends to make folks very honest. 'Ye has never had a problem telling folks how he feels, but he takes it to another level with this album.

"See You in My Nightmares" is hands down my favorite song on the album. (I'm cold, I'm cold..I got the right to put a fight, but not quite...) Now, I know it's featuring Lil Wayne but that has nothing to do with it. It's the raw emotion of the song. He was really trying to tell us [Alexis] something.

"Pinocchio Story" is absolutely genius. It's songs like this that don't make Kanye just a rapper, but a true artist. Something like a genius. The lyrics are very real, he's very emotional and he's singing. I appreciate that.

808's and Heartbreak
is completely left field but for that reason I really like it. I give it an A- and that's only because he used autotune in every song. That doesn't mean it's anything short of genius though.

No comments: