Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I Am...Sasha Fierce vs. Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams


As you know, Beyonce’s album dropped yesterday and I’m a fan so I definitely went and got it. I also have Solange’s album. I must admit I wasn’t planning on getting it but the fiancé bought it and I’ve been hooked on it ever since. So I’m going to give you a review…my take on both albums.


Of course, Beyonce has saturated the media lately building up to the release of I Am…Sasha Fierce. Now, it is a double CD album. The first being Beyonce and the second disc is all Sasha Fierce (Bey’s alter ego). I’m not going to lie. I was kind of skeptical of the idea after the whole Tip vs. T.I scenario. (I still get confused on who is who.) But I must say that it was beautifully done. Beyonce is your softer, more vulnerable side. All ballads and sets the tone. “Ave Maria” is my favorite track from this side with “Halo” as a close second. “Ave Maria” was unexpected for me but she sounds great. Very opera. That’s what I like about Bey. She always takes it to the next level.

Of course, Sasha’s CD was all club bangers, but what I like about it is that it was very electro-pop, 80’s friendly. Many artists are doing that now, but let’s face it Bey’s been in the game for a while so she had the best producers and great executions. Whether you love her or hate her…you’ve got to admit the girl is good. I must say that I thought I was going to enjoy Sasha more than Beyonce but it was the other way around. I feel like Sasha is giving the people what they want while pleasing record execs. Which is fine. But Beyonce has grown up and it shows in the songs she’s singing. She has a couple songs that’ll stay with folks without having to do the “uh-oh” dance or “replacing” some man.


Now, Solange on the other hand is on another level. She’s very inspired by classics and old girl groups which shows through her music. She’s not the strongest vocalist but her execution makes up for skill she lacks. You believe what she’s singing and that’s important. “I Decided” was a great way to reintroduce herself to the world. (Her first album Solo Star was released in 2003.) Her first album wasn’t a reflection of her and after you hear Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams you’ll see why. I believe that tracks like “Cosmic Journey” (feat. Bilal) and “Would’ve Been the One” are genius. It has that old school, yet original feeling. Contrary to public belief, the album, like Solange isn’t trying too hard. She has her own identity and voice – it isn’t something she made up to stand out from her sister. It is what it is and that’s what makes this album special. I think it’s what took her from being “Beyonce’s sister” to Solange.

Overall, I’d say that Solange and Beyonce are eye to eye as far as music is concerned. They very different artists. Vocally, Bey is stronger but Sasha surprisingly comes in third place to me. So there you have it.

1. Solange (Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams) and Beyonce (I Am…)
2. Beyonce (Sasha Fierce)

But that’s just what I think. How do you guys feel about both albums? Do you agree with me?

No comments: